To a large extent the activities of the Swedish Energy Agency are related to work conducted on the international arena.
The collaborative international activities of the Swedish Energy Agency cover several areas of work, comprise an extensive part of the Agency's operations and are carried out bilaterally and multilaterally, within regional as well as multilateral cooperation.
Most of our international work is carried out as part of our everyday tasks to implement and promote national and EU-legislation. Some of it is also carried out to directly support the Government offices, such as when representing Sweden in international organisations together with or on behalf of different ministries. Some of the international organisations/cooperations that the Swedish Energy Agency is actively involved in (apart from the EU) is:
- Meeting the Swedish Kyoto committment through the use of international mechanisms such as emissions trading and CDM/JI, including capacity building on this
- International negotiations on climate change
- The International Energy Agency
- The International Renewable Energy Agency
- The Clean Energy Ministerial
- The Nordic Council of Ministers and the Nordic Council
- The European Energy Network, EnR (a voluntary network for National Energy Agencies in Europe)
- Bilateral agreements with other countries such as China, India, Russia, the USA and the United Arab Emirates