How to start trading

Emissions trading is not limited to those who have commitments and are forced to be part of the system. Other companies, organisations and individuals can also buy and sell allowances and international credits.

A prerequisite for holding units is an account in one of the EU ETS registries or in a registry under the Kyoto Protocol. See Account Types for more information about which account suits you best.

Because the registry is not a marketplace and therefore does not handle any contract or price data, but only registers transfers of units, you must find buyers and sellers on other platforms. Trading can take place both through spot trading where units are transferred immediately to the buyer or through derivatives such as futures, forwards and options. Units are also sold by EU Member States at auction, read more.

Allowances may be financial instruments. For more information on EU Emissions Trading, see Emissions Trading in the EU. In order to open an account, you must have access to the Union Registry.