Sweden has the highest proportion of renewable energy in the EU
Sweden has the highest proportion of renewable energy in the EU, 43.3 %. Electricity generation contributes most to the proportion of renewable energy in Sweden.
The next largest contributor is the industrial sector. This is followed by district heating generation and the residential sector. The use of renewable energy in the transport sector accounts for only one percentage point of the proportion of the total use of renewable energy, according to the Swedish Energy Agency's yearly follow up of the Swedish energy policy objectives.
The publication Energy Indicators does a systematic follow-up of the Swedish energy policy objectives by means of indicators. This year's theme is renewable energy. The follow-up shows, among other things, that:
- The proportion of renewable energy used in Sweden has increased from 33.9% in 1990 to 43.3% in 2006.
- Out of the 43.3% in 2006, renewable electricity generation accounted for 18 percentage points, the industrial sector for 14 percentage points, the district heating sector for 6 percentage points, the residential and services sector, etc. for 5 percentage points and the transport sector for about 1 percentage point.
-Wood fuels, including liquors, are the energy source that has contributed most to the total proportion of renewable energy during the period between 1995 and 2006, and contributed 23 percentage points in 2006 to the total proportion of renewable energy.
- The proportion of motor biofuel reckoned in energy content was 4.0% in 2007. Only two countries in EU-27 had a higher proportion than Sweden (Austria and Germany). The use of motor biofuel in Sweden increased by more than 30 percent between 2006 and 2007.
- The number of passenger cars that could be run on predominantly renewable energy increased by 65 percent during 2007, but still only represent just over 2 % of the total number of registered passenger cars.
- The renewable proportion of the energy use of dwellings, excluding electricity and district heating, has increased from 32% in 1990 to 75% in 2006.
- The industrial sector, especially the pulp and paper industry, is the largest biofuel user.
- The proportion of renewable energy in district heating has increased from 24 % in 1990 to 55 % in 2006.
- Renewable electricity generation in Sweden in 2006 accounted for 52% of all electricity generation, of which 45% was in large-scale hydropower.