Operator Holding Account

Operators covered by the EU ETS and thus under obligations to report emissions and, if necessary, surrender allowances, shall open a so-called Operator Holding Account in the Swedish section of the Union Registry.

The operator is responsible for applying for the account in the Swedish part of the Union Registry. This should be done after a decision on a greenhouse gas permit has been taken by the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency.

The following pages describe the process of how to apply for a trading account or person holding account in the EU ETS or in the Swedish registry under the Kyoto Protocol. Learn more about account types.

All steps in the process shown below must be completed in order for an application to be complete and reviewed by us. When you click an arrow, information is displayed which helps you meet the requirements of an application.


A completed application form must be submitted to the Swedish Energy Agency along with the following:

  • A copy of the greenhouse gas permit
  • Documentation for at least two persons to be registered as representatives on the account
  • Application for an account on the Union Registry website

General requirements regarding documentation

All copies of documents attached to the application must be certified by a notary public. It is done to verify the authenticity of the document. In the case of documents issued outside of Sweden, the copy must be legalised or confirmed by apostille.

The date of issue of a certificate, legalisation or apostille must not be more than three months before the date on which the application is received. Contact details for the notary public or other entity must be attached to the documentation.

Documents that are in original do not need to be certified.


The documents submitted to the Swedish Energy Agency shall be in Swedish or English. If the original document is in another language, a legalised copy must be submitted together with an authorised translation.