Operator holding account

Operators covered by Swedish law (2020:1173) and thus must report emissions and possibly surrender allowances must open a so-called operator holding account in the Swedish part of the Union Registry.

Application – Step by step

All steps in the application process must be completed for your application to be complete and approved. Click on the links to get more information on how to meet the requirements of an application.

When you apply for an operator holding account, the following is required:

  • permit for greenhouse gas emissions issued by the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency
  • completed application form with information about the account holder (organisation) and information about the persons applying to become representatives for the account
  • additional documentation regarding the persons applying to become representatives
    o evidence of identity
    o power of attorney
    o extracts from the criminal record
  • registration of representatives and application for account opening on the Union Registry website.

The responsibility of the operator

The operator is responsible for applying for an account in the Swedish part of the Union Registry after a decision on a permit to emit greenhouse gases has been made by the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency

General requirements regarding documentation

All copies of documents attached to the application must be certified by a notary public. It is required to verify the authenticity of the document. In the case of documents issued outside of Sweden, the copy must be legalised or confirmed by apostille.

The date of issue of a certificate or, legalisation or apostille must not be more than three months before the date on which the application is received by the Swedish Energy Agency. Contact details for the notary public or other entity must be attached to the documentation.

Documents that are in original do not need to be certified.


The documents submitted to the Swedish Energy Agency shall be in Swedish or English. If the original document is in another language, a legalised copy must be submitted together with an authorised translation.